2012-01-29 • PERSON

Servant of God, Father Petro Oros (July 14th, 1917 – August 28th, 1953)

Читати »»»
2009-06-07 • ICON

The miraculous icon of the Mukachevo Blessed Virgin Mother of God

Читати »»»
2009-06-07 • PLACES

Greek-catholic episcopal residence in Uzhgorod, Transcarpathia

Brief historical outline, significance and general description of the building

Читати »»»

2009-06-07 • ICON

The miraculous icon of the Mukachevo Blessed Virgin Mother of God

Mukachvo Eparchy in recent times had its own place of pilgrimage, where venerated miraculous icon of the Blessed Virgin Mary in Maria-Povch (Hungary). Due to the historical border change many parishes of the Mukachevo Eparchy remained in Romania and Hungary. And thus Maria-Povch with its miraculous icon remained outside the border of Mukachevo Eparchy. Bishop Petro Hebey tried to bring back to Transcarpathia the icon of Maria-Povch Mother of God, which is in the cathedral of St. Stephan in Vienna till present day. Unfortunately that came out impossible. That is why through the mediation of Apostolic Nuncio in Prague Mons. Franc Marmadzi, which at that time was in Rome, Bishop Petro Hebey addressed the Pope. In 1926 Pope Pius XI gave a present for Mukachevo Eparchy the icon of Mother of God painted in 1453 which was kept by Basilian Fathers on the Mount Chernecha in Mukachevo.
Solemn transferring of the antique icon of the Mother of God to Mount Chernecha happened on June 27, 1926 Sunday of All Saints in the presence of numerous faithful (more than 30 000 people). The intronization rite of the icon performed Bishop Petro Hebey. His Excellence entrusted to the protection of the Mother of God the entire Mukachevo Greek-Catholic Eparchy with all its faithful believers. Since that time this icon started its mission as a “Patroness of Mukachevo”, but St. Nicolas monastery on the Mount Chernechy – main indulgence place of the entire Transcarpathia.
The origins of icon reach XV century. Together with frame it is 55cm wide and 68cm high. It was painted on wood in Byzantine style with background out of gold. On it there is depicted Blessed Mother of God with Divine Savior, which holds in the left hand sphere-universe, but with right hand bestows blessing. From both sides of the Mother of God can be seen Greek inscription: MHTHP KYRIOY (Mother of God). At the bottom from the left side we read the year of origin – 1453.
About the past of this icon we do not know much. It is also unknown when and by what circumstances this icon appeared in Rome. For long years it was hidden in the Vatican museums, till the time when Holy Father Pius XI deigned to grant it to Mukachevo Eparchy.
In 1947 when Communist Regime liquidated Basilian monasteries, there was made a copy of this miraculous icon and placed in monastery church in Mukachevo where it is even till present day. The family of Brother Julian Migovich (Order of St. Basil the Great) in the town Svaljava hid the origin. He himself also dwelled in Svaljava soon after expulsion of all the monks from the Mokachevo monastery. After a short while also this hiding place became insecure for after Brother Julian was set watch and his residence place was often checked by the KGB agents. Thus, he decided to pass the icon to the family Ljahovich to keep it in Mukachevo. In 1998 by the efforts of Basilian Fathers the miraculous icon was found, but to return to the Mount Chernechy is not possible since Basilian monastery is in disposition of the Orthodox Church. Thus, the icon was transferred to the Basilian monastery in Malij Bereznij where it is till present time. Every year during solemn monastery church’s feast celebration and also on all Marian feasts the icon is put out for public veneration.
On November 1, 2004 on the feast of blessed martyr Theodore Romzha, before the celebration of the solemn Holy Liturgy in the Cathedral in Uzhgorod, His Excellence Bishop Milan Sasik performed the rite of consecration of the copy of the icon of Mukachevo Mother of God. Thus, there officially started pilgrimage of Mukachevo Mother of God through all parishes of Mukachevo Eparchy. This pilgrimage lasted till August 26, 2006 and ended in Assumption of the Mother of God cathedral in Mukachevo, where it is exposed for veneration. In the same day after the solemn Holy Liturgy there were consecrated icon copies for each parish of our Eparchy and thus was shown respect to our heavenly Protectress. 
The icon visited all parishes operating in Mukachevo Eparchy. In such way there was accomplished spiritual preparation of the faithful believers to the celebration of the 80-years Anniversary of granting this particular shrine in 1926 by Pope Pius XI to Mukachevo Eparchy.